Careers: Head of Finance
HEAD OF FINANCE
CafePod was set up in 2011 by 2 friends, Peter Grainger & Brent Hadfield to bring some much-needed change to the retail coffee category. Consumer coffee habits were in the throes of being upended & they saw this as a great opportunity to take the lead in coffee at home.
Over the last 6 years we’ve grown to be the UK’s 7th largest roast & ground coffee brand in Retail, with a plan to be the 5th largest by the end of 2018. Our ambition is to become the UK’s No.1 retail coffee brand in the next 5 years, with a range of innovative, high quality coffee products that have the 21st century coffee consumer at heart.
We’re at a pivotal moment in the company’s journey, with a hugely exciting future ahead. We started in capsules but are about to embark on even more ambitious plans to truly shake up the whole retail coffee category with a full re-launch and a new consumer campaign planned in 2018. Our Marketing team are creating a truly world class brand and we need a Sales team to deliver that ambition. For the right person, this opportunity could be a career defining effort, shaping the company and long-term success of the business whilst revolutionising a category.
If you don’t like feeling like a small cog in a machine, join CafePod and become the machine.
We are looking for an experienced and ambitious Head of Finance to join our team. This role is critical in our plans to disrupt the category and build a loved brand. Reporting to the CEO, the Head of Finance will be responsible for all aspects of finance relating to CafePod. This role will provide an excellent career opportunity with great potential to have a large impact within a high growth company. FMCG goods experience essential.
- Delivering robust, accurate and timely management information.
- Day to day running of the finance function (incl. oversight of Payroll, payments, banking, tax, expenses).
- Management of finance assistant and external service providers (e.g. payroll, invoice factoring, banks, auditors).
- Completion of all financial and management accounting.
- Preparation of monthly reports and variance analysis.
- Reconciliation of fixed assets, prepayments, accruals and other monthly postings.
- Balance sheet preparation for monthly review – including reconciliation packs.
- Preparation of VAT returns and reconciliations.
- All cash and treasury activities including invoice discounting, FX, funding and cashflow forecasting.
- Preparation of annual budget and any re-forecasts.
- Developing the company's Finance strategy, to optimise the company’s financial performance and strategic position.
- Oversight and input into Customer, supplier and partner contracts.
- Providing best in class support to other areas of the business and working with them to grow the business, formulating strategies and plans. Working closely with marketing and commercial teams to deliver insightful analysis on products, channels and ROI on spend.
- Compliance with all statutory regulations, including audit, tax and company secretarial.
- Preparation of full year accounts and leading the audit process.
- Preparation of tax submissions (including Corporation tax, P11D submission).
- Preparation of full year statutory packs and statutory accounts and tax submission.
- Maintenance of finance systems.
- Ensuring that appropriate processes, controls and systems are in place/maintained throughout the company to support the provision of information to support both robust analysis and decision making, compliance with all regulations and control over finance and commercial activities.
- Establishing a high level of credibility and managing strong working relationships with external parties including customers and advisors including banks and auditors.
- Contributing fully to the development of company strategy across all areas of the business, challenging assumptions and decision-making as appropriate and providing financial analysis and guidance on all activities, plans, targets and business drivers.
- Have oversight over HR (including managing the 3rd party HR relationship).
- Complete ad-hoc projects.
- Lead in conjunction with the CEO on any finance transaction related activity (e.g. funding, corporate actions).
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
No two days at CafePod are the same and we are looking for an ambitious, passionate and motivated person to join our team to help us shake up the coffee industry. We want someone who is excited to work in a fast growth, entrepreneurial company, creating a challenger brand.
Need to have:
- Qualified accountant (ACA/ACCA) with at least 5 years PQE.
- At least 3 years FMCG experience essential.
- Exceptional communication and influencing skills with both non-financial members of the company as well as at all levels of the company including board level.
- Experience of QuickBooks Online an advantage.
- Ability to handle high levels of pressure and critical decision-making.
- Organisation and prioritisation skills.
- Advanced analytical and numerical skills.
- Strong Excel skills essential.
- Excellent communication skills at all levels with a high degree of commercial awareness.
- High integrity with commitment to good governance.
- Good attention to detail and be highly organised.
- The initiative and self-confidence to come up with ideas, propose them and make them happen without being spoon fed.
- Experience managing a team.
Need to be:
- Energetic, highly motivated, with an enquiring mind and passion for excellence and innovation in pursuit of business growth and success.
- Quick starter, self-sufficient and able to learn quickly.
- Driver of change and continuous improvement.
- Capable of working well under pressure.
- Hands on – willing to get involved in a range of finance duties.
- Attention to detail.
- Analytical and methodical approach.
- Professional attitude and conduct.
- Confident and articulate presenting to the CEO and other stake holders.
- Down to earth, collaborative and practical; prepared to get stuck into whatever is required at a small company.
- Someone who can hold their own in a vibrant, fast paced environment.
- Commercially astute, with good business acumen and numeracy.
- A driver of change - problem solving / desire to improve by continuous improvement.
- Enthusiastic and energetic.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Competitive salary.
- 25 days annual leave.
- Private healthcare*.
- Gym membership*.
- Coffee machine*.
* Upon successful completion of probationary period.
If you would like to apply for this role, please email email@example.com with your CV and cover letter, referencing the role you are applying for.